The freeware Spectrum 128 emulator for the Acorn
Latest version: 0.15 (09 Apr 2000)
Click here to download
Click here to download a quick-fix Mode 27 version (not recommended unless you specifically require Mode 27 support)
Click here to download version 0.14
Click here to download version 0.13
I've had reports that some people cannot download using the links above. You should get a 'This file is hosted by Lycos' banner, with a link to the actual file. However, you may find that this link simply reloads the banner plage. If so, try hitting your browser's Refresh button when at the banner page. I've seen this problem when using the JANET Web cache.
Alternatively, if you still can't get it to work, Version 0.14 is at the WOS
FTP site, here.
Spec128 is a ZX Spectrum 128 emulator for the Acorn. There's
currently no shortage of 48k Spectrum emulators for the Arc, but there
are only two other Spectrum 128 emulators, and both are commercial. Spec128,
however, is freeware. I'm also planning to implement emulation of
some Spectrum hardware that no other freeware Spectrum emulator, on the
Arc or any other platform, will emulate, most notably the Plus D disc
Version 0.15 now has AY sound added. Feedback has generally been positive, apart from complaints that some people couldn't download it. However, I'm still just as interested to hear suggestions and bug reports as I ever was. I especially want to know if it won't run on your system, or if it crashes intermittently. It should not crash. It does not crash on my machine. If it did, I wouldn't have released it. So if it crashes, tell me. Don't just delete it and hope that I'll fix it for the next version. Understand? :-)
Check the following Spec128 features against those of your favourite Speccy
- Ability to load all currently known .Z80 snapshot file formats, save
compressed .Z80 snapshots (that Z80 and !Z80Em can load), and to load and
save .SNA snapshots.
- Ability to save screenshots as Mode 27 sprites with palette.
- Frame-by-frame screen plotter, with variable screen update rates, BORDER
support, BRIGHT support and FLASH support.
- T-state counter, with 50Hz interrupt generation linked to it.
- Measurement of emulation speed, with option to limit the maximum speed
to that of a real Spectrum.
- 128k memory page swapping using OS_SetMemMapEntries.
- Bug-free (to the best of my knowledge) emulation of all official
Z80 opcodes, the unofficial ED ones and most unofficial IX/IY opcodes.
The correction of any Z80 emulation bugs that are discovered will
take priority over other development.
- Emulation of the R register.
- Acceptable ULA sound emulation. May sound a bit strange if the emulation
speed is not steady.
- AY sound, including noise and envelope generators, but no speech.
- High resolution colour effects.
The following have not been added yet, but should appear eventually:
- Emulation of any remaining unofficial opcodes.
- Emulation of the Plus D disc drive interface.
- Emulation of the Multiface 128. (This appears to work, albeit slowly, but
has not yet been tested with Genie or Lifeguard.)
- Ability to load and save .TAP tape data files and .TZX tape waveform
- Multitasking emulation in a desktop window.
Features listed here should move up to the 'already implemented' list
in due course. For further information, check out
info on the
Acorn Emulation Page, or
email me if you're
interested in seeing development versions.
Back to main page